The weather is colder, and the days are a little shorter. Soup season is in full effect! Skip the can and make this Easy Homemade Tomato Soup. It's a warm hug for the soul your entire family will love.
There is something so comforting and cozy about a pot of soup on the stove, like French Onion Soup with Cabbage. This homemade tomato soup recipe is easy enough to make any night of the week and sure to become a new family favorite.
Easy Homemade Tomato Soup not only comes together in almost as much time as it takes to pop open a can of soup, but it also only takes a handful of ingredients that are pantry staples. Thick, hearty, and begging for dipping, this tomato soup is an instant classic.
- Butter - Adds richness to this tomato soup while also adding a little sweetness to offset the canned tomatoes.
- Whole Peeled Tomatoes - The better the quality the tomato, the more flavor they will have. These are the heart of this soup recipe and the star of the show.
- Garlic - Adds savory brightness a little sharp kick.
- Shallot or Onion - Use what you have. As they cook, they sweeten and add depth to this hearty soup.
- Dry Basil - Save fresh basil for garnish. Dried basil holds up better to cooking while imparting its sweet flavor.
- Broth - Use what you like. You can make this vegetarian by adding vegetable broth, but chicken broth works equally as well.
- Heavy Cream - This finishing touch adds richness and creaminess to every bite.
How to Make Easy Homemade Tomato Soup
Whether you're looking for the perfect dish to serve for a cozy lunch or to warm up to with dinner, this quick soup recipe has it all. Not only is it quick cooking with minimal ingredients, but the familiar flavors make this a nostalgic classic for a reason.
Time needed: 45 minutes.
Skipped the canned soup and open a can of whole tomatoes. This delicious and warming recipe gives you control of all of the ingredients and flavors with minimal work.
Melt your butter in a stockpot over medium heat and add your garlic and onions or shallots. Allow them to cook until they are fragrant and translucent.
Add your canned tomatoes. Use your spoon to break them up a little. Season them with salt, pepper, and the dried basil.
Add your broth and stir to combine. Allow the soup to simmer for 15 minutes so the flavors can develop.
Use an immersion blender to puree your soup. You can make it as smooth or chunky as you like.
- Finishing Touch
Add the heavy cream and stir to combine. Have fun garnishing your soup and serving with your favorite dippers.
- Dairy Free - Use Dairy Free butter and plant-based cream to make this recipe not just dairy free but also a vegan tomato soup.
- Spicy - Like things spicy? Add a pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes when simmering your soup.
How to Serve Easy Tomato Soup
Part of the fun of having soup for dinner is all of the possible toppings and dippers. Here are a few ideas.
- Grilled Cheese - Is there any more or a classic pairing than grilled cheese and tomato soup? Have fun with the grilled cheese and cut them into mini croutons to top your soup.
- Crushed Red Pepper - For a hint of spice sprinkle red pepper flakes over the top of your soup.
- Heavy Cream - For even more decadence drizzle a little extra heavy cream over the top of your soup.
- Basil - Fresh basil will echo the flavor of the dried herb while bringing a pop of freshness and flavor.
This soup is all about the texture. Using an immersion blender allows you to puree your soup to your desired consistency easily. If you don't have an immersion blender you can also use a blender or food processor. Just be careful as the soup is hot.
This soup is perfect for make ahead meal prep and lunches. Allow it to cool completely and then store it in an airtight container for up to a week. It can also be frozen for up to three months.
Top Tip for Easy Homemade Tomato Soup
This soup is great for freezing. When freezing soups, you can use quart and gallon sized freezer bags. Allow them to freeze flat on a baking sheet and once frozen you can easily stack them and arrange them however you like taking up less space in your freezer.
Easy Homemade Tomato Soup
- 1 stockpot
- 1 Immersion Blender
- ½ stick butter
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot or small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup broth or stock, any variety
- ½ cup heavy cream, plus extra for serving
- optional garnishes, crushed red pepper flakes, fresh basil, grilled cheese croutons
- Heat a stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the butter, garlic, and onion or shallot. Allow to sauté for 2-3 minutes until fragrant and translucent.
- Add the canned tomatoes. Use your spoon to break them up slightly.
- Season with salt, pepper, and dried basil.
- Add the broth and stir to combine.
- Allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until desired consistency.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- To serve, drizzle with extra heavy cream if desired.
Leave a Reply