The last days of the year are ticking down and the celebration of a new beginning and new year are upon us. What better way to celebrate than with an elegant and seasonal sweet treat? Pear Chocolate Galette is a festive and delicious confection that will have your friends and family going back for seconds.
There's something elegant yet comforting about a rustic galette. Whether it's filled with juicy apricots such as an Apricot Galette with Almond Cream or this pear and chocolate filled version, the coziness of a pie combined with the ease of the free formed crust make this an instant classic.
This Pear Chocolate Galette will make you feel like a total rockstar in the kitchen. Taking a little help from the grocery store, this galette couldn't be easier to make, or to shop for.
- Pie Crust - Use your favorite variety of store-bought sheet pie crust.
- Pears - Pick pears that are ripe, but firm. This will allow them to keep their shape as they bake.
- Raw Sugar - Adds sweetness and texture to the crust.
- Egg Yolk - Used to form the egg wash that allows the raw sugar to cling to. Also gives the crust a glossy and golden finish after it bakes.
- Almond Flakes - Adds texture to the crust and echoes the delicate flavor of the chocolate almond cream.
- Almond Flour - This is the base for the chocolate almond cream.
- Egg - Gives the almond cream its texture.
- Butter - Adds richness and creaminess to the chocolate almond cream.
- Sugar - Enhances the natural sweetness and flavor of the almond flour.
- Cocoa Powder - Gives the almond cream its rich and decadent chocolate flavor.
- Chocolate Syrup - The only garnish needed for this gorgeous galette is a finishing flourish of drizzled chocolate syrup.
How to Make Pear Chocolate Galette
Using the shortcut of a readymade pie crust, this rustic French dessert comes together effortlessly. Whether you're looking for something for a special occasion, or want something sweet just because, the combination of juicy pears and luxurious chocolate will become a new favorite.
Time needed: 1 hour.
This rustic, free formed pie combines chocolate almond cream with ripe, juicy pears.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Evenly slice your pears.
Add the sugar and melted butter to a bowl and whisk to combine. Add the remaining ingredients for the chocolate almond filling to the bowl and mix. It will form a thick paste.
Roll out your pie crust until it is an even thickness.
Spread the chocolate almond cream onto the pie crust, leaving a 1" boarder.
Arrange the pears on top of the chocolate almond cream.
Fold the edges of the pie crust over onto the pears. Brush the crust with the egg wash. Sprinkle the raw sugar over the galette followed by the shaved almonds.
Allow the galette to bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Remove from the oven. Drizzle with chocolate syrup or serve with vanilla ice cream.
This same recipe can be made with your favorite Gluten Free tore bought pie crust. Because they are a little more delicate be careful when rolling it out and then folding over the edges. In addition, you can also use Dairy Free butter in this recipe.
- Mixing Bowl
- Rolling Pin - The store-bought pie crust will come folded and have creases in it. Use a rolling pin to even it out.
- Baking Sheet - Pick a baking sheet that will accommodate the diameter of your galette.
- Parchment Paper - This is optional, but lining your baking sheet with parchment paper makes it easy to remove your galette from the baking sheet, and also makes for easy clean up.
- Pastry Brush - Use a pastry brush to easily apply your egg wash.
This Pear Chocolate Galette is a perfect make ahead dessert. Keep it stored in an airtight container and it will keep for 3-4 days. You can gently rewarm it on a low temperature in the oven if desired.
Top Tip for Pear Chocolate Galette
It is easy to tell when a pear is ripe. Always test the firmness from the top of the pear by the stem. If it has a little give but isn't mushy, it is ripe and perfect for baking while holding it's shape.
Pear Chocolate Galette
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 Rolling Pin
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 pastry brush
- parchment paper, if desired
Pear Chocolate Galette
- 1 sheet store bought pie crust
- 3-4 pears, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp raw sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp almond flakes
- chocolate syrup to drizzle
Chocolate Almond Cream
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper if desired.
- Add the sugar and melted butter to a bowl and mix to combine. Add the remaining ingredients for the chocolate almond cream to the bowl and mix. It will form a thick paste. Set aside.
- Roll out the pie crust.
- Spread the chocolate almond cream onto the pie crust, leaving a 1" boarder.
- Arrange the pears on top of the chocolate almond cream.
- Fold the crust over onto the pears.
- Whisk together the egg yolk and water. Brush the egg wash onto the crust.
- Sprinkle the raw sugar over the galette. Sprinkle the almond flakes all around.
- Bake the galette for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup over the galette before serving if desired.