As the days get longer and warmer, I start craving cool salads awash in color. Summer Strawberry and Kale Salad is one of my favorites. Whether you're looking for a great side or want to turn it into a main course, this sweet and savory dish packs a burst of flavor.
I love salads and am always looking for fun and easy twists. Utilizing seasonal ingredients, this salad is a perfect balance of both flavors and textures.
Strawberries just aren't for your favorite desserts. With strawberry season in full force, I love incorporating this bright berry into savory dishes as well. Summer Strawberry and Kale Salad is the perfect companion to your weeknight meals or weekend grilling.
All hail the kale! Kale is such a beautiful green to build a salad around. The hearty leaves stand up to bright and tangy vinaigrettes while its earthy bite balances the sweetness of the strawberries. The key to kale however is to massage the leaves with olive oil. This slightly breaks them down and makes them more tender and toothsome.
When I am creating a salad, I always think about the textures. This salad possesses both crunch and creaminess. Tangy salty feta and nutty pepitas give interest to every bite. The sweet licorice flavor of fennel also gives crunch.
This salad is a great way to introduce new, fresh flavors to your family. Combining something beloved like strawberries with more unexpected ingredients like kale and fennel is a fun way to encourage them to try different produce.
Tying everything together is an easy vinaigrette with ingredients probably already in your pantry. Slightly sweet balsamic vinegar and tart Dijon are combined with fruity olive oil. The Dijon also acts as an emulsifier, binding everything together.
This salad is perfect on its own for a light lunch or beautiful side. You can also dress it up even more and add your favorite protein to it for a complete meal.
Slicing Into Summer Strawberry and Kale Salad
There's no need to heat up the kitchen with this summery salad. Get out your chopping board, and let's break down how to recreate this sunny dish.
- Make sure your kale is thoroughly washed and dried. if using whole leaves, strip the leaves away from the stem.
- Chop your kale into bite sized pieces. Add them to a bowl with a splash of olive oil and gently massage them until you begin to feel them soften.
- Top with your sliced strawberries.
- Crumble feta cheese over the top of your salad.
- Thinly slice a bulb of fennel and add it in.
- Sprinkle pepitas over the top.
- Either whisk your vinaigrette as you drizzle in the olive oil or add all of the ingredients to a mason jar and shake it until fully combined.
- Drizzle the dressing over the top, and serve extra on the side if desired.
Are you looking for more salad inspiration? Make sure you check out my recipe for Roasted Beet and Berry Salad.
Summer Strawberry and Kale Salad
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Salad bowl
Strawberry Kale Salad
- 2 cups kale, washed, destemmed, and chopped
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- ¼ feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced medium
- ¼ cup pepitas can substitute with your favorite nuts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
Strawberry Kale Salad
- Add your kale to a large salad bowl. Pour a splash of olive oil on the leaves and gently massage them until you begin to feel them soften.
- Add the remaining ingredients, gently tossing to combine.
- Dress the salad with a drizzle of the balsamic vinaigrette. Serve extra dressing on the side.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, Dijon, and salt and pepper to a small bowl.
- Continually whisk as you drizzle in the olive oil.
- You can also add all of the ingredients for the dressing to a mason jar and shake until it is combined.
Leave a Reply