Fall is in full splendor and with it the holidays are just around the corner. Whether you’re looking for an autumn inspired side or easy dish to serve at Thanksgiving, these Sweet and Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes are sure to become a regular part of your meal planning.
Sweet potatoes are perfect as a main dish, like Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, while also serving as a beloved side. Skip the marshmallows and serve up this elegant and easy side dish.
This budget friendly recipe for Sweet and Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes only requires a handful of easily accessible ingredients. The best part, you probably already have some or all of them in your pantry!
- Sweet Potatoes – The natural sweetness intensifies as it bakes, caramelizing on the outside and getting tender and soft inside. Pick potatoes that are similar in size so they bake up evenly.
- Butter – Adds richness and moisture to the sweet potatoes while helping the seasonings to adhere.
- Cinnamon – Warm and aromatic, this is the official scent of the fall. Adds depth and a different layer of sweet heat with the kick of cayenne.
- Black Pepper – Adds a savory, mild, and earthy heat.
- Cayenne – Just a pinch makes all of the flavors come alive. Gives a hint of spice without overwhelming.
- Salt – Seasons the sweet potatoes while enhancing all of the other flavors.
- Honey – Compliments the natural sweetness of the potatoes and helps caramelize them a little.
- Chives – Adds an herbaceous pop of freshness and delicate onion flavor.
How to Make Sweet and Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Whether you’re looking for a new inspiration for a side dish or planning out your holiday feast, the sweet and savory potatoes are easy and delicious. They deliver on both a balance of flavors and also texture.
Time needed: 40 minutes
This sweet and spicy side dish is a celebration of simple ingredients and is the perfect accompaniment for your Sunday roasts, steak night dinners, and holiday table.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. These potatoes roast at a high heat.
Cut your potatoes in half. Score the flesh of the sweet potatoes creating a diamond/cross hatch pattern.
Mix together your melted butter and seasonings. Brush the butter mix mixture onto the potatoes, reserving a little.
Drizzle honey over the sweet potatoes.
Bake the sweet potatoes for 20-30 minutes, or until they are fork tender.
- Finishing Touch
Brush the remaining butter mixture over the potatoes. Garnish with snipped chives and enjoy!
Honey pairs perfectly with the savory and spicy elements of these sweet potatoes. However, you can replace the honey with pure maple syrup, or even agave syrup.
This vegetarian recipe can easily be made Dairy Free. Simply replace the melted butter with your favorite Dairy Free variety and then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Top Tip for Sweet and Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
While these sweet potatoes come together easily and with minimal effort, don’t skip the step of scoring the flesh. This allows the seasonings to get into the potatoes while also giving them both great texture and a beautiful appearance. This also works when roasting other vegetables such as eggplant, zucchini, and even butternut squash.
Sweet and Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 baking sheet
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 stick melted butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp honey
- fresh chives for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half. Use a sharp knife to score the flesh side of the potatoes, forming a diamond/crosshatch pattern. Place them on a baking sheet.
- Season the potatoes with salt.
- Mix together the melted butter and remaining spices. Brush the butter mixture onto the potatoes.
- Drizzle the honey over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for 20-30 minutes until they are fork tender.
- Brush the remaining butter mixture over the potatoes.
- Garnish with fresh chives and enjoy!