It's that time of year when we are all a little more mindful about what we eat, and what we feed our families. This Cheesy Baked Spaghetti Squash is an easy and delicious way to cut the carbs while serving up more vegetables.
I love squash. My favorite is acorn squash but I am always looking for new ways to use different varieties. This comforting and hearty dish is a great way to turn a vegetable into a main course while trying something new.
I love this Cheesy Baked Spaghetti Squash for many reasons, one of which is just how easy it is. The most difficult part of working with spaghetti squash is cutting it open, but with a little tip you won't just be creating this dish, but many others featuring spaghetti squash.
Spaghetti squash is such a beautiful canvas for many different recipes and flavors. It's mild, delicate flavor takes on spices and sauces while the ribbons of flesh are an ideal substitute for pasta. You can top it, or use it for the base of a baked dish such as this. The best part is the skin makes the perfect vessel, so it also lends to easy clean up.
This baked dish is all about that decadent ooey gooey cheese pull we all crave. A combination of nutty parmesan and creamy mellow mozzarella deliver the cheese. For a savory salty bite bacon is mixed in. Tangy yogurt adds just enough creaminess to tie it all together while fresh thyme offers up a lemony herbaceous note.
This is a great base recipe to play around with. Feel free to add additional vegetables like spinach or broccoli. You can also change up the proteins by swapping the bacon for the chicken. Have fun with it and make it your own!
Cheesy Baked Spaghetti Squash 101
So you've brought home a spaghetti squash. Now what? With an easy tip and a few simple ingredients you will be on your way to serving up this delicious and cozy carb conscious dish.
- Take the help of the microwave. Microwave your spaghetti squash for three to five minutes. This will begin to soften it and allow you to cut it in half easily.
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Drizzle olive oil all over the squash and place them cut side down onto a baking dish. Roast them for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Use a fork to gently scrape the flesh away from the skin. As it shreds the strands will resemble spaghetti.
- Scoop out the shredded flesh and add it to a bowl along with your yogurt, cheeses, bacon, spices, and thyme. Mix to combine.
- Fill the spaghetti squash skins with the mixture. Top with extra mozzarella because cheese makes everything better. And I did promise cheese!
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the top is golden.
- Don't forget a little sprinkle of parsley!
Are you looking for more easy and healthy weeknight meals? Make sure you check out my recipe for Italian Sausage Pot Pie.
Cheesy Baked Spaghetti Squash
- baking sheet
- mixing bowl
- 1 spaghetti squash medium
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- ½ cup mozzarella, shredded, plus extra for topping
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of nutmeg
- fresh thyme
- ½ cup cooked bacon, chopped
- parsley for garnish
- Microwave the squash for 3-5 minutes until it begins to soften.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Drizzle olive oil over the flesh and put cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Using a fork gently scrape the flesh away from the skin and scoop the strands out into a bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix to combine.
- Divide the mixture between the two halves. Top with additional mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes until bubbly and the top is browned.
- Garnish with parsley.