I am pretty sure it’s a proven fact that cheese makes everything better. Whether you’re serving this up as a beautiful brunch dish or elegant side, Cheesy Kale Mushroom Orzo is a new way to celebrate cheese.
Creamy, earthy, and savory, this beautiful pasta dish has it all. Packed with flavor and texture in every bite, this is sure to become one of your new go-to recipes.
All of the Cheese Please
I am always looking for new and different ways to incorporate greens into my family’s meals. Cheesy Kale Mushroom Orzo is both hearty and comforting, and one of their favorites.
Orzo is one of my favorite pastas to cook with. I love its versatility. It can liven up any soup while also being used to create almost a risotto. The short rice like shape lends itself to a variety of dishes.
This creamy pasta is all about combining flavors and textures. A little earthy, a little herbaceous, and a little nutty, it’s a full sensory experience, with minimal effort and time required.
Scallions are cooked down drawing out their mellow sweet onion flavor. Mushrooms are added along with just a kiss of tomato sauce for a one two punch of both earthy and savory flavors. The kale is sautéed in the mixture until it just wilts down. Cooked orzo is added along with parmesan and reserved pasta water.
Pasta water is one of those magical ingredients. As the orzo boils, it releases some of its starches into the water. The addition of the pasta water not only helps create a sauce, it also thickens it and emulsifies the cheese creating a silky texture.
This dish is perfect as is and can be served as a pasta side, or as a main dish. However. it gets even better when it’s crowned with a poached eggs. Can we say pour the mimosas please?? Because this is how I want to brunch.
Easy Cheese Kale Mushroom Orzo
This colorful and savory dish couldn’t be easier. The most difficult part is waiting for the water to boil for your orzo.
- Cook your orzo according to the package directions for al dente. The pasta is going to cook a little more in the sauce, so you don’t want it overcooked.
- Heat a deep sauté pan over medium heat with olive oil.
- Add your scallions and sauté for a couple of minutes, allowing them to soften.
- Next add in your mushrooms and tomato sauce, stirring to combine. Continue to stir until the mushrooms have softened and released some of their liquid.
- Stir in your kale, allowing it to cook until it wilts down.
- Add the cooked orzo along with the pasta water and parmesan. Keep stirring until the parmesan is melted and the sauce is creamy.
- This dish is perfect as is but becomes over the top fabulous with the addition of a poached egg!
Are you looking for more ways to incorporate greens into your cooking? Make sure you check out my recipe for Meatless Monday: Collard Greens Shakshuka.
Cheesy Kale Mushroom Orzo
- 1 stock pot
- 1 deep saute pan
- 2 cups orzo pasta cooked, plus some of the pasta water reserved
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan, plus extra for serving
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- poached eggs, optional
- Cook orzo according to the package directions for al dente in salted water. Reserve some of the cooking water when draining.
- Heat a deep skillet over medium heat with the olive oil.
- Add the scallions and saute for a couple of minutes until tender and fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms and tomato sauce, stirring to combine. Saute until the mushrooms are tender.
- Add in the kale, salt, and pepper and continue to stir until its wilted.
- Add in the orzo, parmesan, and reserved pasta water, stirring to combine and melt the cheese. You can add additional pasta water if desired.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
- Serve with a poached egg and more parmesan cheese if desired.