I love having easy, healthy meals that are both hearty and delicious. With soup weather in full effect, this Chicken Sausage and Cabbage Soup is the perfect addition to the weekly meal repertoire.
Cozy meals that nourish the soul just as much as the body are always on repeat in my house. There's something about a pot of soup simmering on the stove that just beckons my family to the table. The way it perfumes the air and everything harmoniously basks in the broth is magic every time.
When it comes to weeknight cooking there are just certain ingredients that help make it easy. This Chicken Sausage and Cabbage Soup utilizes one of my favorites.
al fresco Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage not only helps this soup come together in less than an hour, it adds incredible layers and depth of flavor. This fully cooked sausage is minimally processed, contains no artificial ingredients, and is made with Vermont maple syrup for that kiss of sweetness that pairs beautifully with earthy cabbage.
I love stocking my refrigerator with al fresco sausage. Made with 100% all natural chicken and simple ingredients, you can taste the quality in every bite. In addition to their fully cooked line of sausages they also have chicken burgers, chicken meatballs, and breakfast sausages. I always feel good about serving their products to my family.
While the Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage delivers the first layer of flavor to this soup, the bounty of vegetables in this soup plays a main role as well. Tender pillowy diced potatoes, sweet carrots, bright fresh celery, and tender shred of cabbage make this soup both hearty and comforting. The addition of fresh thyme and rosemary bring an aromatic herbaceous note to every bite.
The best part of this soup is it gets even better then next day. Have it for dinner one night and enjoy it for lunch the next day! It also makes a great make ahead for meal prep.
Soup's On with Chicken Sausage and Cabbage Soup
Get out your Dutch oven and warm it up. With just a few simple steps dinner will be on the table in less than an hour.
- Preheat your pot on medium with the olive oil.
- Add your sliced sausage and allow it to brown and develop a little color. Remove from the pan.
- Make sure your vegetables are cut to about the same size. This will allow them to cook evenly.
- Sauté your onions, garlic, celery, leeks, carrots, and potatoes until the onions are translucent and the vegetables are beginning to become a little tender.
- Add your cabbage, fresh herbs, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the browned sausage back into the pot along with any drippings.
- Pour three cups of water over the ingredients, or enough to fully submerge them.
- Cover the pot and allow it to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite crusty bread.
Are you looking for more soup inspirations? Make sure you check out my recipe for Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini Soup.
Chicken Sausage and Cabbage Soup
- Cutting Board
- Dutch oven or stockpot
- 1 pkg al fresco Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage, sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped white and light green parts only
- ½ green cabbage, chopped medium
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig each, rosemary and thyme, chopped
- chili flakes for serving
- crusty bread for serving
- Heat a Dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Add your olive oil.
- Add the sausage and sauté for 5 minutes until browned. Remove from the pot.
- Add the onions, leek, garlic, celery, carrots, and potatoes. Seasoning with salt and pepper. Sauté for 10 minutes until the onions are translucent and the vegetables beginning to get tender.
- Add the cabbage, bay leaves, and herbs to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add the sausage back to the pot. Add 3 cups of water, or enough to make sure all of the ingredients are fully submerged.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkle of chili flakes and crusty bread. Enjoy!