The holidays are just around the corner and with it all of the busy schedules. Having a recipe for a quick cooking and healthy meal is a great way to bring the family to the table without any stress. Chicken Sausage Kale and Mushroom Pasta is sure to become a new family favorite and go to dish.
There are certain ingredients that make pulling together 30 minutes meals easy. Using healthy precooked chicken sausage can have dishes such as Greek Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner from the oven to the table in less time than it takes to order take-out.
Having a well-stocked pantry makes pulling dishes such as this Chicken Sausage Kale and Mushroom Pasta together a breeze. Combining fresh produce such as Tuscan kale and mushrooms together with staples like sun dried tomatoes makes this just as easy as it is delicious.
- Roasted Red Pepper and Asiago Chicken Sausage – al fresco all-natural chicken sausage is made with zero artificial ingredients. They are minimally processed and made with 100% chicken thigh and breast meat. The Roasted Red Pepper and Asiago flavor combines a hint of mesquite smoke with red peppers and asiago cheese.
- Spaghetti – Quick cooking spaghetti will have the kids diving in and twirling their paste.
- Mushrooms – Use your favorite variety. Both baby bella and white mushrooms will work.
- Lacinato Kale – Sometimes referred to as Tuscan kale or dinosaur kale, this variety is more tender and quick cooking than a curly leaf kale.
- Sun Dried Tomatoes – A little sweet and a little chewy, they add both texture and flavor to this dish.
- Garlic – Adds an aromatic and savory layer of flavor.
- White Wine – Bright, sunny, and acidic, it helps create the sauce. Pick one that you enjoy drinking as the flavor will concentrate.
- Parmesan – A little nutty and a little salty, it’s the perfect finishing touch.
- Olive Oil
How to Make Chicken Sausage Kale and Mushroom Pasta
Skip take out and serve up this family friend pasta recipe. Bursting with savory flavors and juicy sausage, it’s sure to become part of the regular rotation.
Time needed: 35 minutes
Spaghetti comes together with generous chunks of sausage and a hearty and easy pan sauce.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil. Add the sausage and cook for five minutes until golden. Remove from the pan. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are lightly browned. Add the garlic and sundried tomatoes and continue to cook.
Add the white wine, making sure to scrape up any brown bits form the bottom of the pan.
Add the kale and continue to stir, allowing the kale to cook until it has wilted down. Add the sausage back into the pan.
Add the cooked spaghetti and a cup of reserved pasta water. Stir until the spaghetti has absorbed the liquid and all of the ingredients are combined.
- Finishing Touch
Remove the skillet from the heat. Garnish with freshly grated parmesan and chili flakes if desired.
- Spinach – The kale in this recipe can be replaced with spinach. Spinach cooks faster than the kale so you may need to adjust the cooking time a little.
- Pecorino Romano – Tangy sheep’s milk pecorino can be used in place of the parmesan in this recipe. In addition, you can also add freshly grated asiago to echo the flavor in the sausage.
- Semi Dried Tomatoes – Slightly softer semi dried tomatoes can be used in place of the sun-dried tomatoes. These are usually made from cherry tomatoes.
- Spicy – If you like things spicy, add a pinch of crushed red chili flakes when adding your garlic.
- Gluten Free – Swap the spaghetti in this pasta for your favorite Gluten Free variety.
Is there anything better than leftover pasta? This meal makes for great next day lunches. Simply store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator and it will keep for 3-5 days.
Top Tip for Chicken Sausage Kale and Mushroom Pasta
Pasta Water is your best friend. Always save at least a cup of your starchy cooking water before draining your pasta. Not only will it allow you to thin out any sauce if needed, but the starches in the water help marry the pasta to the sauce. In addition, it can also be used to emulsify ingredients such as parmesan, creating a silky texture.
Chicken Sausage Kale and Mushroom Pasta
- 1 large skillet
- 1 stockpot
- 1 colander
- 1 pkg al fresco Roasted Red Pepper Asiago Chicken Sausage
- 8 oz spaghetti, cooked according to package directions for al dente
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups lacinato kale, washed, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- parmesan for serving
- crushed chili flakes for serving
- Cook spaghetti according to the package directions for al dente. Drain. Reserve one cup of the starching cooking water.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil. Add the sausage. Cook the sausage for 5 minutes until golden. Remove from the pan.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and continue to stir. Allow them to cook for a couple of minutes until beginning to brown.
- Add the garlic and sun-dried tomatoes into the pan. Continue to stir.
- Add the white wine to the pan, making sure to scrape up all the brown bits, deglazing the pan.
- Add the kale to the pan and allow it to cook until it is wilted.
- Add the sausage back into the pan along with any drippings.
- Add the spaghetti and reserved pasta water. Gently stir until the spaghetti has absorbed the liquid and the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Remove the skillet from the stove.
- Grate fresh parmesan over the top and garnish with crushed red chili flakes if desired.