It might be cold outside but the sunny burst of lemon will have you feeling like it’s spring. Everyday Lemon Poppyseed Cake is the perfect sweet yet tangy treat that is as easy to make as it is delicious.
There’s just something instantly happy about the bright burst of lemon. Whether it’s in Blueberry Lemon Burnt Cheesecake or this easy cake ideal for any time of day, it’s a fresh flavor that is loved for a reason.
Not only is Everyday Lemon Poppyseed Cake easy to make, it’s also easy to shop for. Combining simple pantry baking staples with canary lemon, this is an effortless treat the entire family will love.
- Butter – This gives the cake a rich flavor while also giving it a tender texture. The butter is also used to grease the pan.
- Sugar – Balances out the bright pop of lemon while also used to caramelize the cake a little.
- Poppyseeds – These are a classic pairing with lemon. Gives texture to every bite.
- Lemons – This lemon cake gets a one two punch of summery lemon flavor from both the zest and also the lemon juice. Make sure that you are using fresh lemons for this recipe as they are the predominant flavor.
- Flour – No need for anything fancy. Regular all purpose flour is all that is needed for this lemon cake recipe.
- Baking Powder
- Powdered Sugar – A light dusting of delicately sweet powdered sugar is the perfect accent to this lemon poppyseed cake.
How to Make Everyday Lemon Poppyseed Cake
This is the perfect easy cake recipe for any level of baker. It’s also a great recipe to get the kids in the kitchen and have them experience the fun and reward of baking a cake from scratch.
Time needed: 45 minutes
A little tart, a little sweet, and busting with the texture of poppyseeds, this easy lemon cake is ideal to serve as a sweet treat with tea or sunny finish to any meal.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8″ baking dish with butter and dust the interior with sugar making sure the bottom and sides are coated.
Add the butter and sugar to a bowl and mix until it is light and airy. Add the lemon juice, zest, and eggs and mix to combine.
- Dry Ingredients
Add the flour and baking powder to a separate bowl and mix to combine.
Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until they are just combined, careful not to overmix. Fold in the poppyseeds.
Spread the cake batter into the prepared baking dish. It will be a thick batter. Allow it to bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and it is golden brown.
- Finishing Touch
Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top. Cut and enjoy!
Lemon and poppyseeds are a classic duo that pair well in everything from muffins to vinaigrette dressings. However, you can mix-up the flavor profile of this sunny cake and replace the lemon juice and zest for fresh orange juice and zest.
If you, your family, or friends are dairy free, feel free to substitute the butter in this recipe for dairy free butter. The measurements will be the same. Use your favorite.
Tools for Lemon Poppyseed Cake
You can use a stand mixer, hand mixer, or even just a whisk to mix together the cake batter for this recipe. It will fit an 8″ baking dish. Because this batter is thick, you may want a spatula to help smooth it out.
Because this lemon cake is simply dusted with powdered sugar there is no need to refrigerate it. Keep it covered in an airtight container at room temperature and it will keep for up to five days.
Top Tips for Everyday Lemon Poppyseed Cake
You can mix together this cake batter with a hand mixer, stand mixer, or even simply a whisk. Make sure that your butter is at room temperature so it comes together easily and lump free. In addition, don’t over mix and over work your batter. This will give you a more tender crumb and keep the cake from becoming tough once baked.
When it comes to picking out citrus for recipes that call for their zest, try and use organic if possible. Most grocery store citrus has a slight waxy coating on the outside to help it last longer. Organic citrus doesn’t have this coating. However if you don’t have organic citrus, just give it a good wash.
Everyday Lemon Poppyseed Cake
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 mixer or whisk
- 1 8" baking dish
- 1 stick butter, room temperature + 1 tbsp for the pan
- 3/4 cup sugar + 2 tbsp for the pan
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 eggs
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- powdered sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8" baking dish with a tablespoon of softened butter. Sprinkle in two tablespoons of sugar making sure the bottom and sides are fully coated.
- Add the stick of softened butter and sugar to a bowl. Mix until fluffy and creamy.
- Add in the eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix to combine.
- Add the flour and baking powder to a separate bowl and mix together.
- Add the flour mixture into the wet mixture and mix until just combined. The batter will be thick.
- Fold in the poppy seeds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Use a spatula to spread out.
- Allow the cake to bake for 25-30 minutes or until it is lightly golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top. Cut and serve!