The long Labor Day weekend us just around the corner and what better way to celebrate than with hotdogs? Grilled Hotdogs with Tropical Mango Pineapple Salsa are the perfect party pleasing bite!
Skip the ketchup and mustard and give your hotdogs a beachy makeover. I love the versatility of fruit salsas, such as my Fresh Summer Cherry Salsa. This is a fun and colorful way to bring all of the summertime vibes to the last days of the season.
This bright and vibrant salsa is all about celebrating fresh flavors and ingredients. Grilled Hotdogs with Tropical Mango Pineapple Salsa is sure to become a new favorite twist on the classic hotdog.
- Hotdogs - Use your favorite kind!
- Mango - A little sweet and a little tart, this juice tropical fruit will bring all of the vacation vibes to your meal.
- Pineapple - Like mango, pineapple is that perfect balance of naturally sweet and a little acidic. Fresh is best!
- Red Bell Pepper - This adds a different layer of sweetness as well as giving a little crunch to the tender fruit.
- Red Onion - Savory and aromatic, it also gives crunch.
- Jalapeno - All salsa needs a little kick! Leave the seeds in for more heat or remove them to keep it family friendly.
- Cilantro - Citrusy, bright, and herbaceous, cilantro pairs well with tropical flavors.
- Lime Juice - The tangy flavor of lime compliments the sweet fruit and ties all of the flavors together as it marinates.
How to Make Grilled Hotdogs with Tropical Mango Pineapple Salsa
The hardest part of making these fun and festive hotdogs is allowing the salsa a little time to marinate!
Time needed: 30 minutes.
The longer the salsa sits, the better it gets!
- Mise en Place
Dice up all of your fruits and vegetables into similar sized bites.
- Mix it Up
Mix together all of your ingredients including the fresh lime juice. Allow the mango pineapple salsa to marinate in the refrigerator while you grill your hotdogs.
- Grill it Up
Grill your hotdogs until slightly charred.
- Finishing Touch
Place your hotdogs in toasted buns. Drizzle with your favorite barbecue sauce. Add a little or a lot of the mango pineapple salsa. Enjoy!
- Canned Pineapple - Fresh is always best, but the pineapple in this recipe can be replaced with well drained canned pineapple.
- Sweet Onion - If you want a milder onion flavor, the red onion can be replaced with a sweet onion such as a Vidalia onion.
- Vegetarian - Swap the hotdogs in this recipe for a vegetarian variety.
- Fish - This salsa pairs well with fish, from roasted salmon to grilled grouper and mahi-mahi.
- Tacos - Skip the hotdogs and pile this salsa up on your favorite tacos!
- Spicy - Give your salsa an extra kick. Instead of using a jalapeno add a finely minced serrano pepper to it.
There are no special tools required for these tropical hotdogs. Simply a good knife and cutting board, and your grill.
This salsa can be made well in advance making it ideal for meal prep. Store the salsa in an airtight container and allow it to refrigerate until you're ready to use it.
Top Tip for Grilled Hotdogs with Tropical Mango Salsa
When it comes to picking a pineapple that is ripe, it should smell sweet when you smell it. In addition, if you give one of its leaves a tug and it easily comes off, it is ready to cut.
Grilled Hotdogs with Mango Pineapple Salsa
- 1 grill
Tropical Mango Pineapple Salsa
- 1 cup mango, diced
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced, remove seeds for less heat
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- toasted hotdog buns
- barbecue sauce for serving
Mango Pineapple Salsa
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Allow to refrigerate until ready to use. This can be made ahead of time, even the day before.
- Grill your hotdogs until lightly charred.
- Place your hotdogs in a bun. Drizzle with barbecue sauce. Top with the mango pineapple salsa.