Grilling season is in full swing! Grilled Lamb Chops with Chimichurri Sauce is a quick and easy dish to make any day of the week that will have the entire family reaching for the last chop.
Lamb is always a family favorite, such as my Herb Crusted Roasted Rack of Lamb. It's rich flavor and fast cooking time makes it equally as ideal for a special occasion or just making a weeknight feel special. The herbaceous sauce that is served with these meaty little chops is the perfect fresh accent.
Grilled Lamb Chops with Chimichurri sauce combines simple ingredients that pack bold flavor.
- Lamb chops - You can either buy lamb chops or purchase a rack of lamb and cut them yourself.
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley - This adds fresh grassiness to the chimichurri.
- Red onion
- Cilantro - Cilantro adds citrusy brightness.
- Garlic cloves
- Red pepper flakes - This gives a little sassy heat to the chimichurri. You can add as much or as little as you like.
- Lemon juice - Fresh squeezed is the best!
How to Make Grilled Lamb Chops with Chimichurri Sauce
Fire up the grill and get out your tongs! With just a few simple steps you will be enjoying these lamb chops all summer long.
Time needed: 1 hour.
Whether you're firing up the grill outside or using an indoor grill pan, this fresh and delicious meal comes together effortlessly.
Allow your lamb chops to come to room temperature. Rub them down with olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Fire it Up
Preheat your grill. You want it fully heated before adding your lamb chops. This will create that crust and sear them, locking in the juices and cooking them fast.
- Cook Time
Cook each side of the lamb chops approximately 2 minutes. They should easily release from the grill when you go to flip them. use a digital thermometer to check your internal temperature. I like to pull mine at 135 degrees for medium rare.
- Getting Saucy
Add your herbs, garlic, and onion to a food processor and pulse to chop. Add your salt, red pepper flakes, and lemon juice. Pulse again. Transfer the mixture to a separate bowl. Stir in your olive oil and oregano. Allow the chimichurri sauce to refrigerate until you're ready to serve. This portion can be made ahead of time.
- Serve it Up
Serve your grilled lamb chops with the chimichurri sauce and enjoy!
While the bright and herb forward flavors of the chimichurri sauce pair perfectly with the rich and earthy lambchops, this sauce works equally as well with grilled steak. You can serve this with any of your favorite cuts such as flank, skirt, or picahna steak, just to name a few.
In addition to working well with beef, chimichurri is also a bright and cheery accent to chicken, seafood, and even potatoes. Make it for this recipe and try it with other grilled meats and vegetables.
These lamb chops can be grilled outside on your gas grill, pellet grill, or charcoal grill. In addition, they can also be grilled inside on a grill pan.
Besides a grill you will also need a food processor. This makes creating your chimichurri sauce easy and fast.
You will also need an instant read digital thermometer. This will help you cook your lamb chops to your desired level of doneness. I love using the ThermoPro TP16 Large LCD Thermometer. It's great for both cooking out on the grill and also the oven.
One of the great things about Grilled Lamb Chops with Chimichurri Sauce is that the chimichurri sauce can be made ahead of time. Always store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If there are any leftover grilled lamb chops, they can also be stored separately in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Grill up a few extra for meal prep!
Top Tip for Grilled Lamb Chops with Chimichurri Sauce
Always allow your lamb chops to come to room temperature before grilling. This will keep the meat tender and relaxed. In addition, make sure your grill or grill pan is fully heated before cooking your lamb. This will sear the lamb chops and give you that beautiful crust.
Grilled Lamb Chops with Chimichurri Sauce
- 1 grill or grill pan
- 1 food processor
- 1 digital thermometer
Grilled Lamb Chops
- 8-10 lamb chops
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup parsley
- ¼ red onion
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp oregano
- pinch of red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup olive oil
Grilled Lamb Chops
- Allow your lamb chops to sit out and come to room temperature.
- Pat your lamb chops dry. Rub them with olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan.
- Grill the first side of your lamb chops for 2 minutes before flipping. They should easily release from the grill.
- Grill your second side another 2 minutes, or until your desired level of doneness.
- I pull my chops off at an internal temperature of 135 for medium rare.
- Allow to rest for a couple of minutes before serving.
- Serve with chimichurri sauce.
- Add the cilantro, parsley, onion, and garlic to a food processor. Pulse until chopped.
- Add the salt, red pepper flakes, and lemon juice. Pulse again to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Stir in the olive oil and oregano.
- Allow the chimichurri to refrigerate until ready to use.