Summer barbecues are almost as much about the sides as they are the main event. Bursting with bright flavors and crunch, Kefir Dill Potato Salad is sure to become a family favorite.
If you’re looking for the ultimate side to serve with your Oven Baked BBQ Ribs, this tangy and fresh potato salad is it. Not only is it easy and delicious, it’s good for you too!
Combining fresh ingredients with pantry staples, this lighter potato salad comes together with ease. Next time you’re looking for the perfect side to any of your grilled favorite, look no further than a bottle of kefir and Kefir Dill Potato Salad.
- Baby Potatoes – Baby potatoes boil up quickly while staying tender. Use a mix of colors to make this potato salad extra festive.
- Cornichons – These cute and tiny pickles pack a punch of bold flavor that is a little brighter than dill pickles.
- Red Onion – Sharp and savory, this brings crunch to every bite.
- Radishes – With a kick of spice and delightful crunch, radishes bring both bold flavor and texture to this potato salad.
- Fresh Dill – Citrusy, bright, and herbaceous the flavor of the dill pairs well with the tangy kefir and bright cornichons.
- Lifeway Kefir – This tart and tangy cultured milk is high in protein, calcium, and vitamin D. This lowfat milk is a probiotic that is good for supporting immunity and a healthy digestive system. It makes the perfect base for the light and creamy dressing bringing flavor but not heaviness.
- Olive Oil – Adds both richness and a little fruitiness to the dressing.
- Red Wine Vinegar – Vinegar adds another layer of tang and brightness to the dressing for this potato salad.
- Dijon Mustard – Not only does Dijon mustard add bold and sharp tang to the dressing, it also helps emulsify all of the ingredients.
- Salt and Pepper – With so many bright, fresh, and tangy flavors, all you need is a little salt and pepper to season this beautiful potato salad.
How to Make Kefir Dill Potato Salad
The only cooking required for this summertime classic is boiling your potatoes which can be done ahead of time. This dish is ideal for meal prep as it only gets better the longer it sits.
Time needed: 2 hours
Bright, fresh, and lighter than a traditional mayonnaise based, potato salad, this easy and delish barbecue classic gets a tangy update.
Boil your potatoes until they are just fork tender. Drain them and allow them to cool completely. Chope your vegetables into fairly uniform sizes.
Add your kefir, olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and salt and pepper to a bowl and mix until combined.
Add your potatoes and chopped vegetables. Gently fold until they are all evenly coated in the dressing.
Allow your potato salad to refrigerate for at least two hours.
Give your potato salad a quick stir before serving and taste for salt and pepper. Enjoy!
- Potatoes – If you don’t have baby potatoes, you can use Yukon gold or red potatoes. Simply quarter them or slice them depending upon the size.
- Chives – The fresh dill in this salad can be replaced with fresh snipped chives.
- Dill Pickles – The cornichons in this recipe can be replaced with diced dill pickles or gherkins.
- Stock Pot – You want to use a stockpot large enough to accommodate all of your potatoes.
- Colander – Make sure your potatoes are very well drained and dry before mixing up your Kefir Dill Potato Salad. This will prevent the salad dressing from being diluted.
- Mixing/Serving Bowl – Pick a bowl that you can mix your salad in and also refrigerate for at least two hours.
Because this salad had a dairy based dressing, you will want to store it in an airtight container or keep it covered in the refrigerator. It can last for several days making it a great meal prep dish.
Top Tip for Kefir Dill Potato Salad
This salad is all about the combination of tangy and bright dressing. Make sure your boiled potatoes are thoroughly dried before mixing your salad so they don’t dilute and water down the dressing. Also, allow the potato salad to refrigerate for at least a couple of hours so all of the flavors can meld. This is an ideal dish to prepare the night before as it only gets better the longer it sits.
Kefir Dill Potato Salad
- 1 stockpot
- 1 colander
- 1 serving bowl
- 2 lbs mixed baby potatoes
- 1/2 cup cornichons, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup radishes, diced
- fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup Lifeway Kefir Original Unsweetened
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Boil your potatoes until they are fork tender. Allow them to drain and completely dry.
- Add your kefir, olive oil, vinegar, Dijon, and salt and pepper to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add your remaining ingredients and with a spatula fold them until they are thoroughly coated in the dressing and evenly distributed.
- All the potato salad to chill for at least 2 hours. This can be made the night before.
- Stir when ready to serve. Enjoy!