Is there anything that has more possibilities than a box of pasta? It's such a pantry staple that can be the hero of a quick weeknight dinner, or the star of an elaborate Sunday meal. This Lemony Tuna Spinach Spaghetti takes that favorite pasta shape and twirls its way into your weekly menu.
My family loves pasta. It's on our menu at least two times a week. If you ask my children what they want for dinner, the answer is almost always pasta. This recipe is a perfect easy meal combining pantry staples with a handful of ingredients.
A Well Stocked Pantry
Ask almost anyone what their go to ingredients are in their pantry, and you will get an answer of some shape or form of pasta. Whether you're living Gluten Free, are vegan or vegetarian, there are pastas and pasta recipes for every lifestyle.
Lemony Tuna Spinach Spaghetti pulls from both Mediterranean flavors and a Mediterranean lifestyle. I love serving my family pasta because it's a great way to add more vegetables into their meals, like spinach. It's also a great way to add lean proteins like tuna that are high in Omega-3 fatty acids.
There are so many things to love about pasta. It's an affordable way to stock your pantry. It can play the starring role as a main course or supporting actress as a side. And at only 200 calories per cup of cooked pasta, it's ideal for eating more mindfully.
Share the Pasta is an incredible resource for all things pasta. From information on pasta shapes and Gluten and Gluten Free pastas, to tips on how to cook pasta and recipes, they have you covered.
Pasta is a great source of fiber, helping you feel full longer. It's filled with vitamins and minerals. And regardless of how you prepare it, it's always delicious and universally loved.
Easy Dinner with Lemony Tuna Spinach Spaghetti
Dinner couldn't be any easier than it is with this recipe. With just a few tips you will be serving up this light, bright, and savory meal.
- Always cook your pasta according to the package directions. Because the spaghetti finishes in the light sauce, I recommend al dente. That means it's still going to have a slight bite to it.
- Save one cup of your pasta water. Some of the starches from the pasta are released during cooking. This is a great way to thicken a sauce while helping tie the pasta and sauce together.
- Heat your olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add your garlic and chili flakes and cook 2-3 minutes. You want the garlic to be fragrant but don't want to add any color to it.
- Drain your tuna well. Pick a quality canned tuna because it is a main component of this beautifully fresh and simple recipe.
- Add the tuna to the pan, stirring to break it up and allowing it to heat through. Add your capers. These give a nice briny pop while providing a little natural salt.
- Add your boiled pasta to the pan and stir to combine. Add your reserved pasta water.
- Add your lemon juice and zest. There is so much flavor and aromatic fragrance in the zest of citrus.
- Add your spinach at the very end along with your chili flakes. Easy, simple, elegant!
Are you looking for more easy pasta recipes? Make sure you check out my recipe for Easy Cheesy Baked Rigatoni Pasta.
Lemony Tuna Spinach Spaghetti
- stock pot
- large sauté pan
- 1 lbs spaghetti
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 oz tuna in water
- 1 cup pasta water
- zest from 1 lemon
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp capers
- 2 cups baby spinach
- red chili flakes
- Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-low heat with olive oil.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Do not brown.
- Drain the tuna well and add to the pan, breaking up with the spoon. Continue to sauté until heated through.
- Add the capers and continue to sauté.
- Add the pasta, stirring to combine.
- Add the reserved pasta water, gently stirring.
- Add the lemon juice, zest, and spinach. Toss to combine.
- Serve immediately!