Can you think of any food more perfect than pizza? It’s the ultimate crowd pleaser, family friendly treat, and gathering food. This Pizza Puttanesca combines a handful of pantry staples into the pizza version of an Italian classic.
I could eat pizza everyday. The endless combinations of flavors and the way the crust is a canvas that inspires creativity lends itself to having fun and trying new flavors. When I saw the line of Mutti sauces for pizza, I was instantly transported to Italy.
There is a reason Mutti is Italy’s number one tomato brand. Form the moment you open a jar or can, you can see the vibrant crimson color, taste the true natural sweet flavor of a just picked tomato, and smell the aromatic perfume. The moment I opened the jar of Mutti Napoli Pizza Sauce, I knew I was going to make Pizza Puttanesca.
It was natural to combine Mutti Napoli Pizza Sauce with the flavors of puttanesca. The 100% sun ripened Italian tomatoes and fresh sweet basil that are the trademark of Neapolitan pizza pair perfectly with the pasta creation born in Naples.
Spaghetti alla puttanesca is about the balance of those beautifully sweet Italian tomatoes, bright pop of capers, salty briny punch of olives, and rich taste of the sea from anchovies. In this recipe the pasta is being replaced with pizza crust.
Using a pantry staple like Mutti pizza sauce makes this recipe come together quickly and easily. In addition to the pizza sauce I’m using other pantry staples like kalamata olives and anchovies. I love that Mutti products allow me to create easy and elegant weeknight recipes such as this. I also love knowing that when I use one of their products they’re a company committed to sustainability.
Flipping Over Pizza Puttanesca
Skip the take out and delivery. This recipe is just as easy as it’s delicious. With a handful of ingredients you probably already have on hand, I will walk you through each step of Pizza Puttanesca.
- When it comes to your pizza dough, you can use either homemade or store bought. Always let it rest and come to room temp. This will allow you to stretch the crust easily.
- For the ultimate crispy crust I love using a cast iron skillet to bake my pizza in. Preheat your cast iron skillet in your oven. This will give you that crispy bottom and soft interior.
- Preheat your oven at the highest temperature, 500-520 degrees. This allows you to create a pizza oven like experience at home.
- While I am giving measurements for the toppings, feel free to add a little more of anything you love. If you adore olives, add a few more kalamatas. Anchovies are your favorite? Top with an extra fillet or two. Have fun with your pizza!
- To let the flavors marry and make cutting your pizza easier, allow the pizza to cool for several minutes on a cutting board before cutting and serving.
Are you looking for more easy weeknight recipes? Make sure you check out my recipe for The Ultimate Chicken Paprikash.
- cast iron skillet
- 1 lbs pizza dough, homemade or store bought
- 1/2 cup Mutti Napoli Sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2-3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6-8 anchovy fillets
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- olive oil for brushing
- fresh basil, for garnish
- dried oregano, for garnish
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to the highest temperature, 5–520 degrees.
- Place your cast iron skillet into the preheated oven while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Stretch your pizza dough out onto a lightly floured surface. You want it to be approximately the same size as your cast iron skillet.
- Carefully remove the cast iron pan from the oven.
- Place the pizza dough into the skillet and gently press the dough out towards the sides.
- Brush the outside of the pizza dough with olive oil, approximately 1".
- Spread your Mutti Napoli sauce over the bottom of the crust.
- Add your cheese. Top with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and the crust golden brown.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and gently slide the pizza onto a cutting board. Allow to cool 3 minutes.
- Garnish with oregano, fresh basil, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Slice and enjoy. Buon appetito!