I don't know about you but my least favorite thing about cooking is the dishes. I love recipes that can be prepared all in one skillet, or like this Sheet Pan Orange Glazed Chicken and Cabbage all on a sheet pan.
When it comes to easy weeknight meals, nothing beats a sheet pan dinner. Not only is it convenient but it's also delicious. The natural juices from the chicken combine with the vegetables creating the perfect bite.
I love have easy recipes for weeknight dinners that pack a ton of flavor. This Sheet Pan Orange Glazed Chicken and Cabbage combines marinated chicken with one of my family's favorite vegetables.
My family loves cabbage. My husband is obsessed with cabbage salad. It's such a versatile and hearty vegetable that stands up on its own but also takes on flavors well. When it's raw it gives that irresistible crunch. However when it's roasted it becomes soft, tender, and more mellow. It's transformed into something entirely new. Throw in a beautiful bold glaze and I promise you will have your kids eating their vegetables!
The marinade for the chicken also doubles as the glaze. It's that perfect balance of a little salty, a little tangy, a little sweet, with a kiss of spice. Soy sauce and Dijon mustard bring the salt and the tang along with that savory note. Sesame oil adds a depth of nuttiness while fresh orange juice gives a bright sweetness. For that kick of spice you can use either sriracha or gochujang.
To ensure the chicken is tender and juicy, it's roasted on its own before the cabbage is added. Not only does this keep the chicken juicy it helps the cabbage retain some of its texture. One sheet pan, one hour, dinner is served!
Heating Up Sheet Pan Orange Glazed Chicken and Cabbage
Get out your sheet pan and preheat your oven. This dinner comes together in an hour!
- Prepare your marinade. Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and pour half of it over your chicken thighs. Reserve the remainder for the glaze. Allow to marinate for a couple of hours.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Place the chicken thighs on the sheet pan. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut your cabbage into wedges. At the 15 minute mark add the cabbage to the sheet pan and brush the glaze over the everything and roast for another 30-40 minutes. The internal temperature should be 165.
For more easy weeknight recipes, be sure to check out my recipe for Salmon Piccata.
Sheet Pan Orange Glazed Chicken and Cabbage
- sheet pan
- 6-8 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- 1 white cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
- blood orange slices
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Gochujang or sriracha sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- juice from 1 orange
- Thoroughly whisk together the ingredients for the marinade.
- Pour half of the marinade over the chicken and reserve the other half for glazing.
- Allow the chicken to marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken on the sheet pan. Roast for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is roasting cut the cabbage into wedges. At the 15-minute mark place the cabbage on the sheet pan and brush the remaining glaze over everything.
- Roast for another 30-40 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees.