Valentine's Day is just around the corner. What better way to show your love than with an elegant and easy brunch dish? This Smoked Salmon Dutch Baby Pancake combines the decadent and rich flavors of smoked salmon with an easy savory Dutch baby pancake recipe.
Smoked salmon and brunch just go hand in hand, like Elegant Smoked Salmon Quiche. It's an ingredient that has the ability to transform any dish into an occasion. Combining simple pantry staples with a few fresh pops of flavors, this Dutch baby recipe is as easy to shop for as it is to make.
Have you ever made a Dutch baby pancake before? This souffle like creation comes together with just a handful of basic ingredients and is the perfect canvas for both savory and sweet toppings. This Smoked Salmon Dutch Baby combines the bright pop of verdant herbs with the tang of sour cream that balances the rich salmon.
- Eggs - Gives this Dutch baby pancake its rise and souffle like texture.
- Flour - No need for anything fancy. All purpose flour works just fine here.
- Milk - Whole milk or 2% milk will give the most richness and flavor to this simple pancake batter.
- Butter - Gives richness to the Dutch baby while also preventing it from sticking to the skillet.
- Sour Cream - The creamy tang balances the richness of the smoked salmon.
- Latitude 54 Cold Smoked Salmon - Latitude 54's cold smoked salmon is smoked within 24 hours of leaving the water with Chilean oak. All of their salmon is hand selected to ensure the quality of the finished product. They are Best Aquaculture Practices certified with a four-star rating.
- Fresh Herbs - Dill and chives give a pop of freshness and brightness that pair well with the savory smoked salmon.
- Lemon Zest - Gives a sunny burst of flavor that balances the flavor of the smoked salmon and accents the tang of the sour cream.
How to Make a Smoked Salmon Dutch Baby Pancake
Light, airy, and delicate, yet topped with rich and bold flavors, this savory pancake is ideal for brunch, an elegant lunch, or light dinner. Just add a bottle of bubbly and you have a meal to remember.
Time needed: 35 minutes.
A savory Dutch baby pancake is topped with rich smoked salmon, tangy sour cream, and a bright burst of fresh herbs.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Once your oven is preheated add your butter to your baking dish and place in the oven for five minutes to heat through.
Whisk together your flour and eggs and then add a pinch of salt. Slowly drizzle in your milk as you continue to whisk. The batter will be thin.
Carefully remove the hot baking dish from the oven and add your batter. Allow it to bake for 20 minutes until it is puffed and golden brown.
Mix together the sour cream and lemon zest.
Add dollops of the sour cream mixture over the top of the Dutch baby. Top with slices of smoked salmon and then sprinkle the fresh herbs over the top. Add additional lemon zest if desired!
For another tangy and creamy option, creme fraiche can be used in place of the sour cream. In addition you can use any combination of soft, fresh herbs such as parsley, tarragon, or chervil.
The preheated hot baking dish helps create the initial puff of this savory pancake. You can use a cast iron pan or oven safe enameled cast iron dish for this recipe.
There are certain dishes that should be eaten and enjoyed in the moment and this Dutch baby is one of them. However, you can prepare the individual components of it in advance. Feel free to make the batter for the Dutch baby the night before and keep it refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to bake. Simply heat up your butter skillet and pour.
In addition, you can also mix up your sour cream mixture the day before. Check the date of your sour cream, but it will keep for at least a week in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Top Tip for a Smoked Salmon Dutch Baby Pancake
Dutch baby pancakes are all about the texture. Preheating the skillet allows the batter to initially puff. Do not skip this step! In addition, once puffed, this pancake quickly deflates when it's removed from the oven. It's part of the process. This is what creates the perfect crevice for filling and topping with both sweet and savory ingredients.
Smoked Salmon Dutch Baby Pancake
- 1 oven safe dish
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ cup sour cream
- 5-6 oz cold smoked salmon
- fresh chives and dill to taste
- lemon zest to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the eggs and flour to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Season batter with a pinch of salt and whisk.
- Slowly pour in the milk while whisking. The batter will be thin.
- Add the butter to the baking dish and allow it to heat in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove the baking dish and pour in the batter.
- Bake the Dutch baby for 20 minutes, or until it is puffed and golden brown.
- Mix together the sour cream and lemon zest.
- Dollop the sour cream mixture over the top of the Dutch baby.
- Add the slices of smoked salmon.
- Sprinkle dill and chives over the top. Garnish additional lemon zest if desired. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply