Whether you're looking for the perfect Meatless Monday inspiration or want to give Taco Tuesday a fun twist, it's time to think beyond the tortillas. Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are a flavor packed option and the best part, they couldn't be easier.
I love coming up with meat free options, such as Tandoori Style Roasted Cauliflower. These delicious and easy sweet potatoes with bold flavor and all of your favorite taco toppings are sure to become a family favorite.
Not only are Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes easy and delicious, but they also utilize several pantry staples.
- Sweet Potatoes - The base for these stuffed potatoes, the natural sweetness balances out all of the savory flavors in the topping.
- Olive Oil - Helps sauté the vegetables that go into the taco filling.
- Onion - Aromatic, sweet, yet savory, this is the first layer of flavor in the vegetarian taco filling.
- Garlic - Sharp, pungent, and fragrant, this adds depth to the filling.
- Jalapeno - Half a jalapeno adds just enough of a kick to wake up all of the flavors.
- Bell Peppers - Bell peppers add both a natural sweetness and also savory flavor to the taco filling.
- Diced Tomatoes - As the tomatoes cook down, they add just enough moisture to make this taco filling a little saucy.
- Corn - Adds texture and a little crunch while also adding a layer of sweetness. You can use canned corn, frozen corn, or fresh corn when it's in season.
- Black Beans - Black beans make this taco filling hearty and comforting while offering up texture.
- Taco Seasoning - Use your favorite variety. The aromatic combination of cumin, chili powder, onion and garlic powder, and spices depending upon your preferred brand will give that familiar taco flavor.
- Salt - Because there is already salt in the taco seasoning, it doesn't take a lot to wake up all of the fresh flavors in this dish.
- Shredded Cheese - It can't be taco night without a layer of molten ooey, gooey cheese.
- Toppings - Add your favorite taco toppings to these baked sweet potatoes, such as sour cream, cilantro, a squeeze of lime, or guacamole.
How to Make Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Pour yourself the Ultimate Spicy Michelada and pop your sweet potatoes into the oven. This delicious Tex-Mex inspired dinner couldn't be easier.
Time needed: 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Wrap your sweet potatoes in foil and allow them to bake for 45050 minutes until they are fork tender.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil. Add your onions, garlic, and peppers, and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add in your tomatoes, corn, and black beans along with the seasonings and let the mixture simmer for 5-7 minutes.
Split open your sweet potatoes. Transfer them to an oven safe baking dish such as a cast iron skillet. Split the black bean taco filling between the two potatoes. Top with shredded cheese.
Allow the sweet potatoes to bake for an additional 15 minutes until they are warmed through, and the cheese is melted.
- Top it Off
Add your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!
- Tomatoes - If you don't have fresh tomatoes, canned diced tomatoes can be used in this recipe.
- Beans - You can substitute the black beans in this recipe with whatever kind of beans you may have, such as pinto beans or kidney beans.
- Spicy - You can add additional heat to this recipe by using the entire jalapeno, or replacing it with a diced serrano pepper.
- Beef - For a meaty version of this stuffed baked sweet potato, replace the black beans with half a pound of ground beef.
- Dairy Free - To make this recipe Dairy Free and also vegan, leave off the cheese, or use your favorite Dairy Free shredded cheese.
The filling for these stuffed baked potatoes can be made ahead of time, making them great for meal prep and an easy weeknight dinner. Simply store the filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Top Tip for Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Canned beans can have additional salt in them. To control the sodium in this recipe, make sure you rinse and drain your beans well. You can also use low sodium canned black beans.
Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 large skillet
- 1 oven safe baking dish
- 2 sweet potatoes large
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, sliced
- ½ jalapeno, diced
- 2 tbsp bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup corn
- ½ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- ½ tbsp salt
- shredded cheese
- favorite toppings such as sour cream, cilantro, lime, and guacamole
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Wrap your sweet potatoes in foil and bake for 45-50 minutes or until they are fork tender. Allow them to cool.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with the olive oil.
- Add the onions, garlic, and jalapenos and sauté until tender.
- Add the tomatoes, corn, black beans, and seasonings and stir to combine. Allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Split the sweet potatoes down the middle. Transfer them to an oven safe baking dish.
- Divide the taco filling between the two potatoes. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- To serve, top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!