Any day of the week is the right day for a fiesta. Instantly make dinner an event with The Ultimate Carnitas Bowls.
I love food that is interactive and there is nothing more interactive than a bounty of bowls filled with all of your favorite taco toppings. These bowls combine savory carnitas with earthy creamy black beans and fluffy savory rice for the perfect base for your friends and family to create fully loaded bowls.
Don’t be intimidated by the ingredient list for this recipe. Most of the items are things you already have in your pantry. I love that The Ultimate Carnitas Bowls combines readily available products making it perfect for any night of the week.
I love having a well-stocked pantry and one of my favorite things to stock is rice and beans. Whether I’m looking to round out a taco dinner or need an easy weeknight side, they’re always the right answer and a great way to explore a world of flavors.
Goya Foods allows me to create nutrient rich meals packed with protein, fiber, and healthy carbs at an affordable cost. With over 40 varieties of beans, the possibilities are endless which is why when I think of rice and beans I think of Goya rice and beans.
Goya is the number one Latino brand known for authentic, high quality affordable products. Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight meal or adding to your Sunday fiesta, Goya rice and beans is always a perfect fit.
While the rice and beans make up the base of these overflowing bowls, the succulent carnitas takes center stage. I love that the pork can be made well ahead of time and then crisped up in the oven for those irresistible bites of succulent crispy pork.
Have fun with your toppings! If you would put it on your tacos, you can pile it into your bowls. Pico de gallo, guacamole, slices of jalapenos, and cotija cheese are all at home here.
Building The Ultimate Carnitas Bowls
Skip the takeout and have your own fiesta at home. With just a few simple steps this delicious meal is sure to become a family favorite.
- Start with your carnitas. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Add your pork butt to a large Dutch oven along with four cups of water and the ingredients for the pork. Allow the pork to bake for four hours or until it easily shreds with a fork. You can do this portion ahead of time, even a day or two before.
- When you are ready to serve your pork, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and place the shredded pork on a baking sheet, spreading it out. Allow it to roast for 20 minutes until the edges are crispy.
- To make your black beans add all of the ingredients to a pot and allow them to simmer for 10-15 minutes so the flavors can combine.
- To make your cilantro-lime rice add the rice, salt, olive oil, and water to a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and allow it to cook until the water evaporates and the rice is tender. Allow the rice to cool before fluffing it with a fork and adding the cilantro and lime juice.
Are you looking for more easy fiesta inspiration? Make sure you check out my recipe for Beef Birria Tacos.
The Ultimate Carnitas Bowls
- 1 dutch oven
- 1 baking sheet
- 2 saucepans
- pico de gallo
- lime wedges
- cotija cheese
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Place the pork butt into a large Dutch oven.
- Squeeze the halved oranges into the Dutch oven and add them in.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cover.
- Cook the pork for 4 hours, or until it easily shreds with a fork.
- Once cooled shred the pork. This portion can be done ahead of time.
- When ready to serve preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread the shredded pork on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the edges of the pork are crispy.
- Add all of the ingredients for the black beans to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the rice, salt, olive oil, and water to a pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil and turn heat to low.
- Allow all of the water to evaporate.
- Let the rice sit before fluffing with a fork and adding the cilantro and lime juice.
- To build your bowls add a layer of rice to each bowl. Top with black beans and carnitas.
- Add your favorite toppings.