The weekend is almost here, and I am looking for fun and festive ways to cool off. One of my favorite cocktails to serve during all summer long are The Ultimate Spicy Micheladas.
I love creating easy and elegant cocktails, such as my Grapefruit Greyhound Cocktails. But sometimes I want something perfect for the hot Florida days of summer. If you love Bloody Mary’s you will love this classic Mexican cocktail. A little lighter, and brighter than a Bloody Mary, it packs a punch in every sip and has the effervescence of beer.
Making a cocktail shouldn’t be complicated. With just a handful of ingredients The Ultimate Spicy Micheladas come together easily. It’s perfect for entertaining with, and a refreshing way to cool off on a summer day. Plus, all good things always start with a cold cerveza.
- Clamato Juice – Skip the Bloody Mary mix, we’re getting a pop of flavor from Clamato Juice. With it’s slightly salty pop of brininess from clams, it pairs perfectly with beer.
- Tabasco hot sauce – I did promise these had a kick!
- Worcestershire Sauce – there is nothing like the savory umami of Worcestershire. It adds both depth and seasoning.
- Lime – fresh squeezed is the way for these cocktails
- Mexican beer – use your favorite Mexican cerveza for this. Lagers and pilsners work great for this cocktail.
- Tajin – This salty, tangy, and slightly spicy chili powder makes the perfect rimmer for the glasses.
- Chamoy – This salty, sweet, sour, and spicy Mexican condiment is the ideal dip for the rim of the glasses, making it easy for the Tajin to adhere. Be warned you will find yourself licking the rim of the glass!
- Ice – Beat the summer heat by icing down your cocktails!
How to Make The Ultimate Spicy Micheladas
With just a handful of simple ingredients and a couple of minutes, you will be sipping on these all summer long.
Crack open a cold cerveza, and let’s make an easy and delicious cocktail!
- The Dip!
Prepare your glasses. Dip the rims of the glasses into the Chamoy, and then dip them into the Tajin. Small dessert plates or saucers work great for this.
- Filler ‘Er Up!
Add your Clamato Juice. Next, add your freshly squeezed lime juice. Get a little spicy and add your Tabasco. Finally add your Worcestershire sauce.
- Ice Time
Fill your glass most of the way with crushed ice.
- Pop the Beer
Open your favorite Mexican beer and slowly pour it into the glass.
Garnish with a lime wheel and enjoy the bright, spicy, and savory drink!
You can switch up the flavors of this drink with a few easy swaps.
- Beer – I used Modelo Especial for this, but you can use your favorite Mexican Beer.
- Tabasco – Change up the heat level by trying some of the different Tabasco hot sauces. The jalapeno hot sauce will bring less heat and a little more brightness. The chipolte hot sauce will add additional smokiness. You can also use your favorite Mexican style hot sauces for this.
- Limes – While limes are traditional and pair well with the beer, you can use lemons for a swap.
Mix it Up
This is a recipe for an easy and classic michelada. However, you can dress them up anyway you like them and have fun with the toppings! Feel free to get as elaborate as you like with garnishes such as cucumbers, mango, grilled shrimp, pickled jalapenos, even bacon!
In addition to making these micheladas your own with the toppings, you can also personalize them to your level of spiciness. Add a little or be generous with the splashes of hot sauce.
Tools Needed to Make the Spicy Micheladas
Save the blender for the frozen margaritas, and the cocktail shaker for the Palomas. There’s no fancy equipment required to make this easy drink.
- Margarita glasses – other glasses will work for these cocktails, but the size and shape of the rim of margarita glasses are perfect.
- Small plate or saucer – this makes the ideal vessel to spread out your Tajin for dipping the rim
- Small shallow bowl or dish – the texture of the Chamoy is like a hot sauce. You want something to make it easy to dip the rim of your glasses, but deep enough to hold the sauce.
I don’t recommend making the entire cocktail ahead of time, but you can prepare the base for The Ultimate Spicy Micheladas ahead. Simply add them to a pitcher and mix. Keep it refrigerated until you’re ready to serve and divide the base between your prepared cocktail glasses.
Tip For The Ultimate Spicy Micheladas
While this bright and refreshing drink is easy to make, I do have one tip to make them even more refreshing. Always make sure everything is chilled. From your ingredients to your glasses, keeping everything cold will ensure you serve up the ultimate sip of the summer.
The Ultimate Spicy Micheladas
- margarita glasses
- saucers or small shallow bowls for dipping
- 1/4 cup Clamato juice
- 2 dashes of Tabasco
- 2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 juice of lime
- Mexican beer
- Tajin for the rim
- Chamoy sauce for the rim
- Add the Tajin and the Chamoy to small saucers or shallow bowls that are wide enough to dip the rims of your glasses.
- Dip the glass into the Chamoy, and then dip the glass into the Tajin, coating the rim.
- Pour your Clamato into the prepared glass.
- Add a couple of dashes of hot sauce.
- Add a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce.
- Add the freshly squeeze lime juice.
- Add your ice, filling the glass almost all the way up.
- Slowly pour in your beer.
- Garnish with lime, or your toppings of choice.