The holidays are just around the corner and what better way to celebrate the season than with a cozy family brunch? Baked French Toast with Raspberry Jam is the perfect dish to serve to a crowd.
Just pour a Dazzling Blood Orange Mimosa and invite friends and family over. This French toast casserole is a great way to celebrate and feed your family or guests.
Combining simple kitchen staples with a few fresh ingredients, this decadent and delightful Baked French Toast with Raspberry Jam comes together with effortless elegance. Just add some crispy bacon and you have a feast!
- Bread – Use your favorite style bread that you would make traditional French toast with. Brioche, challah, and country white are all great options.
- Eggs – Holds this breakfast casserole together and adds richness to the custard.
- Milk – Whole milk will make a richer custard to the base of this recipe but use what you like.
- Sugar – Adds sweetness to both the French toast and also the raspberry jam.
- Orange Zest – The citrus oils in the zest infuse both the French toast and also the jam.
- Orange Juice – Adds sweetness and also a bright note to the French toast and fresh raspberry jam.
- Butter – Used to grease the casserole dish, it prevents the bread from sticking while also helping the bottom turn golden brown.
- Powdered Sugar – The finishing touch that adds just a kiss of sweetness.
- Raspberries – Tart yet sweet, these crimson berries burst with bright flavor in the jam.
How to Make Baked French Toast with Raspberry Jam
There’s no need to heat up the griddle or stand over a skillet with this easy French toast bake. Just mix it and forget it! Breakfast and brunch have never been so fun.
Time needed: 45 minutes
This baked French toast casserole comes together in almost less time than it takes to brew a pot of coffee.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Grease a casserole dish with butter.
Add your eggs, milk, sugar, orange zest and juice to a bowl and whisk together until combined.
Dip each slice of bread into the custard mixture. Layer the slices of bread into the greased baking dish. Pour the rest of custard over the top and allow it to sink in.
Bake the French toast for 30 minutes, or until it’s golden brown.
While the French toast casserole is baking, add all of the ingredients for the raspberry jam to a saucepan over medium heat. Allow it to cook for 15 minutes until the raspberries are broken down and the jam has thickened.
Dust powdered sugar over the top of the French toast and serve with the homemade raspberry jam.
If raspberries aren’t in season, you can use frozen raspberries for this recipe. In addition, strawberries can be substituted for raspberries.
This recipe can be made both Gluten Free and also Dairy Free. Substitute the bread in this recipe with your favorite Gluten Free variety. To make it Dairy Free swap the milk for oat milk, almond milk, or your favorite Dairy Free alternative. Because of the sugar in the custard, you will want to pick a non-sweetened version.
This casserole makes great leftovers. Simply keep it covered in the refrigerator with plastic wrap or foil, and reheat it on low when ready to serve.
Top Tip for Baked French Toast with Raspberry Jam
Part of what makes French toast so decadent is the texture. Allow the custard to fully soak into the bread before baking it. This step can be done ahead of time while the oven is preheating. This will give you the soft and tender interior and delicately crispy crust.
Baked French Toast with Raspberry Jam
- 1 baking dish
- 1 saucepan
Baked French Toast
- 4-5 slices bread
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- butter to grease the baking dish
- powdered sugar
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- zest from 1 orange
- juice from 1 orange
Baked French Toast
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease an oven safe casserole dish with butter and set it aside.
- Add the milk, eggs, sugar, orange zest, and juice to a bowl and whisk together until completely combined.
- Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture and then layer them in the baking dish.
- Pour the rest of the egg custard over the bred.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Dust powdered sugar over the top and serve with raspberry jam.
- While the French toast is baking add all of the ingredients to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Allow the mixture to cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the raspberries have broken down and the sauce has thickened.