I am already looking forward to all of the springtime holidays ahead. Easter and Mother’s Day are in the very near future and I want to maximize time spent with family and friends while still serving them beautiful food. This Elegant Smoked Salmon Appetizer is the ideal make ahead dish.
When it comes to easy entertaining, I love having things I can prepare ahead of time, so I am not in the kitchen. Taking the help of a few fresh ingredients and a couple stand out stars, this colorful dish couldn’t be easier.
Appetizers shouldn’t have to be complicated or time consuming. Offering up an easy one to two bite dish is an ideal way to set the mood for the rest of the even. While this Elegant Smoked Salmon Appetizer requires no cooking, it’s always a show stopper.
Some ingredients just immediately seem party ready. Smoked salmon on its own is the little black dress of charcuterie boards and brunch tables. Its rich and savory flavor makes it suited to all sorts of preparations. Whether you’re adding it to a quiche such as my Elegant Smoked Salmon Quiche, or serving it alongside your crudites, it’s an instant crowd pleasurer.
While I love the luxurious flavor of smoked salmon, I also love how easily accessible it is. It’s a star ingredient I can pick when I’m doing my regular grocery shopping. No specialty trip required! Make sure you pick a brand you love as this is the centerpiece of the dish. In addition to the richness of the smoked salmon, salmon caviar offers up it’s unique umami of balanced salty-sweetness.
With the smoked salmon and salmon caviar being the stars of this dish, we need a little tangy freshness to accent them. Smoked salmon and sour cream are a classic pairing. Sour cream is combined with a pop of verdant dill or chives. You can use either one. A few drops of lemon juice add an sunny pop that balances out the flavors of the smoked salmon. Easy, effortless, and delicious!
Make Ahead Elegant Smoked Salmon Appetizer
No need to heat up your kitchen. This sophisticated appetizer is all about assembly.
- Start with your base. Mix together your sour cream, lemon juice, and herbs. This portion can be prepared ahead of time, even the day before. The longer it chills and sits will allow for more depth of flavor.
- Spoon the sour cream mixture into serving glasses. You can use your favorite cocktail glasses for this. This dish is all about the presentation.
- Top the sour cream mixture with the smoked salmon.
- Top the smoked salmon with the salmon caviar.
- Garnish with a little extra snipped herb.
- Have fun pairing this with your favorite cocktails!
Are you looking for a cocktail recipe to serve alongside Elegant Smoked Salmon Appetizer? Make sure you try my Strawberry Black Pepper Gin and Tonic.
Elegant Smoked Salmon Appetizer
- 4 serving glasses
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- 4 oz Fresh Alaskan salmon caviar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chives or dill, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Mix together your sour cream, chives or dill, and lemon juice. This portion can be done the night before.
- Spoon the herbed sour cream into a cocktail or serving glass.
- Top with a piece of smoked salmon.
- Top the salmon with the salmon caviar.
- Garnish with additional snipped herbs.