With summer in full swing, I am always looking for fun and easy sides to serve next to my weeknight grilling or take to a backyard barbecue. Moroccan Carrot Salad is the perfect make-ahead dish that is an instant crowd pleaser.
I could eat salads every day, like my Summer Panzanella Berry Salad. Especially during the summer when I don't want to heat up the kitchen they're a great addition to any meal or meal unto themselves. The best part of this salad it just gets better the longer it chills!
With just a handful of ingredients, this cheery sweet and savory Moroccan Carrot Salad comes together effortlessly. No cooking required!
- Carrots - You can either shred them yourself or take the help of the grocery store and buy already shredded carrots.
- Raisins - These bring natural sweetness and that soft chew that compliments the crunch of the carrots.
- Orange juice - Fresh squeezed please! You only need one orange.
- Grainy Mustard - This brings tang to the dressing while also helping it to emulsify.
- Honey - Adds sweetness that compliments the carrots and raisins while balancing the tartness of vinegar and mustard.
- Cumin - Earthy with a little bright citrus, a little will perfume the entire salad.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - The bright tang brings flavor without overpowering the other ingredients.
- Olive oil
- Cilantro - Adds a fresh herbaceous pop and pairs well with the cumin.
How to Make Moroccan Carrot Salad
Whether you hand grate your carrots or use pre-shredded carrots, this salad takes only minutes to make. You can use it for meal prep or alongside your favorite grilled protein.
Time needed: 2 hours and 10 minutes.
The hardest part of making this beautiful salad is allowing it to chill!
If using raw, whole carrots, grate your carrots into a bowl.
- Mix it Up
Add your remaining ingredients to a bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust.
- Chill Down
Allow your salad to refrigerate for at least two hours. This can be made the day before as it only gets better the longer it sits and marinates.
- Dinne is Served
Serve alongside your favorite proteins. This would go well with anything from grilled chicken to my favorite easy Grilled Lamb Chops with Chimichurri Sauce.
I used regular raisins in this recipe. If you like the slightly sweeter flavor of golden raisins feel free to replace them. Chopped dates would also be a great addition of sweet.
I like using whole grain mustard for the texture it brings to the dressing. However, it can easily be replaced with Dijon mustard.
Spicy - If you like things spicy, you can add a layer of spice by either using hot honey in your dressing or adding a pinch of red pepper flakes.
One of the many things I love about this salad is that you don't need any special equipment to make it, just a bowl to mix it in and serve. However, if you are going to shred your own carrots, using the shred attachment on either your KitchenAid or food processor will help the process go faster.
This salad is an ideal dish to make ahead of time. It's even better the next day! Make sure that you keep it refrigerated in either a covered bowl, or airtight container.
Top Tip for Moroccan Carrot Salad
When it comes to trying to decide on what dish to bring to an outdoor even in the summer, it's always a good idea to avoid anything with mayonnaise that might be sitting out for awhile. This carrot salad with its oil and vinegar-based dressing is an ideal dish to serve at any outdoor event.
Moroccan Carrot Salad
- 1 serving bowl
- 3 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 cup raisins
- Juice from 1 orange
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- fresh cilantro
- If shredding your own carrots, shred them into your serving bowl. You can also use storebought shredded carrots.
- Add your remaining ingredients into the bowl and mix to combine.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Allow the Moroccan Carrot Salad to chill for at least 2 hours. This can be made ahead of time as it only gets better the longer it marinates.
- Toss before serving. Enjoy!