We love leafy greens in our house. I grew up eating a green salad with every main meal, and I am passing that love of fresh flavors and produce on to my family by continuing the tradition. While most meals include a simple green salad with a bright vinaigrette, this Orange-Pomegranate Winter Salad elevates a weeknight staple.
I love serving this salad during the winter because it utilizes beautiful winter produce while also offsetting the hearty dishes of winter. There's something about a salad that just balances out but also compliments rich dishes.
The Krunch Factor
When it comes to creating the perfect salad, there are certain components I always try and incorporate. This Orange-Pomegranate Winter Salad combines them all. Texture, freshness, color, and a balance of flavors.
Part of what makes salads so delicious is their combination of textures. The most important part is the crunch. There's just something about crunchy food that people crave. The heart and base of this salad begins with Kalera Baby Romaine leaves.
Kalera doesn't just deliver on the crunch; they're defining Pick-to-Plate freshness. These sustainably grown lettuces are hydroponically grown, using 95% less water than traditional farming. They never come into contact with animal or human pathogen, are pesticide free, and non-GMO. They're also nutrient rich making them something I proudly serve my family and friends.
Also bringing the crunch to this colorful salad are crispy pecans. There's just something about the addition of nuts to a salad that makes it seem a little more special.
Fresh oranges, which are at their peak during the winter, add tart sweetness to both the salad itself and also the light, sweet dressing. Feta adds a creamy salty tang while the pop of bright pomegranate arils add festive color and flavor.
The dressing brings a little sweetness that rounds out all of the flavors. Both fresh orange juice and maple syrup are joined by tangy Dijon mustard and red wine vinegar. This salad is elegant and a festive addition to your holiday table.
Shaking Up Sides with Orange-Pomegranate Winter Salad
Making a beautiful salad couldn't be any more simple. With just a couple of tips you will have this fresh and vibrant dish on the table.
- A quick and easy way to combine your salad dressing and fully emulsify it is adding your ingredients to a mason jar and shaking it. No need to dirty any extra dishes as it makes it easy to serve.
- Thoroughly wash and dry your lettuce. Dry lettuce equals that crispy crunchy bite.
- Add all of your ingredients to a bowl and toss just before serving. While some salads get better the long they sit, salad is best made just before serving. Which also makes it ideal for a weeknight.
- Add your dressing before serve and toss to make sure every leaf is coated.
It really is that easy! If you're looking for more side dish ideas, make sure you check out my recipe for Parmesan-Crusted Roast Fennel.
Orange-Pomegranate Winter Salad
- Salad bowl
Orange-Pomegranate Winter Salad
- 1 pkg Kalera Baby Romaine Leaves
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 2 oranges, sliced
- ½ cup pecans
- ½ cup feta, crumbled
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Add all of your Maple-Orange Dressing ingredients to a jar and shake vigorously. Set aside.
- Wash and thoroughly dry lettuce leaves. Chop roughly.
- Add your lettuce leaves, orange slices, pomegranate arils, pecans, shallots, and feta to a large bowl. Toss gently to combine.
- Drizzle the dressing over the top of the salad and toss gently.