Sometimes we all need a little special treat to make ourselves and those we love feel special. These Savory Pear and Roquefort Tartes might look like you cooked all day but come together with minimal effort.
With just a handful of ingredients you can serve up these beautiful and elegant tarte. Taking the help of the freezer section all you need is less than an hour to create a fun and festive dish.
Sweet and Savory
There's something irresistible about that combination of sweet and savory. These Savory Pear and Roquefort Tarte combine the two into a flaky buttery confection perfect to entertain with, or just make the day feel a little more special.
These tartes are ideal for a cocktail party at home. With the bold flavor of Roquefort cheese combined with the naturally sweet bite of pears, I could honestly make a meal of them.
If you love blue cheese, you will love Roquefort. Roquefort cheese is a sheep's milk cheese from the south of France and one of the most beloved blue cheeses.
The tangy bite and creamy texture of blue cheese pairs perfectly with the crunchy naturally sweet pears. Lemony thyme adds another savory layer while a drizzled flourish of honey echos the sweet. Crushed walnut bring added texture. Every bite is a new discovery as all of the ingredients play together, complimenting and accenting each other.
Tying all of the ingredients together and providing the perfect canvas to paint with flavor is the puff pastry crust. I love using frozen puff pastry for creations such as this. It always delivers that buttery, flaky bite and makes everything seem special when in fact it helps make this dish so easy.
Rolling Out Your Savory Pear and Roquefort Tarte
With a little preplanning to defrost your puff pastry, this beautiful dish couldn't be easier. I'll take you step by step so you can serve this up to your family and friends.
- Allow your puff pastry to defrost. You can either allow it to defrost overnight in the refrigerator, or let it come to room temperature on the counter.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out your puff pastry. This will help close the seams.
- Transfer your puff pastry to the baking sheet so you can build the rest of your tarte.
- Arrange your sliced pears on the puff pastry however you like, leaving a little board all around.
- Crumble the Roquefort cheese over the pears.
- Fold over all of the corners and sides of the puff pastry to form the crust. Brush with the boarders with an egg wash.
- Drizzle honey over the pears before sprinkling on the crushed walnuts. For the final step add some fresh thyme leaves.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the puff pastry is golden brown and the bears have begun to caramelize.
- Slice and enjoy!
Are you looking for ideas for the other sheet of puff pastry in the box? Make sure you check out my recipe for Easy Apple Tartelettes.
Savory Pear and Roquefort Tarte
- Rolling Pin
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 3-4 pears, thinly sliced
- 4 oz Roquefort cheese
- ¼ cup walnuts, crushed
- fresh thyme
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll out the sheet of puff pastry.
- Arrange the pears on the puff pastry, leaving a ½" boarder.
- Top the pear slices with crumbled Roquefort Cheese.
- Whisk together the egg and water to form an egg wash.
- Fold over all of the edges of the puff pastry. Brush with the egg was.
- Drizzle honey over the pears. Sprinkle on the crushed walnuts and fresh thyme.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and puffy.
Leave a Reply