I am always looking for new ideas for Meatless Monday. I love coming up with new and flavorful ways to incorporate veggie-forward dishes into my family’s meals. These Roasted Ricotta Stuffed Bell Peppers are a great option.
These easy to prepare stuffed peppers are perfect for a vegetarian dinner, elegant lunch, or even for a brunch dish. Just add some crusty bread and a salad like my Elegant Mimosa Asparagus Salad and you’ll have a complete meal.
Creating a fresh and beautiful meal shouldn’t be complicated and shouldn’t require a lot of ingredients. All of the ingredients for these Roasted Ricotta Stuffed Bell Peppers are readily available.
- Bell Peppers – use a variety of colors
- Ricotta cheese – This is the base for your filling and adds creamy richness.
- Mozzarella cheese – This mild and melty cheese will give you the perfect cheese pull.
- Garlic cloves – Always measure garlic with your heart.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Red chili flakes – The little kick of heat balances the mild, creamy cheeses.
- Egg – This not only binds the filling, it also gives it a more airy texture as it puffs as it bakes.
- Dried basil and oregano – These offer up an aromatic and herbaceous note in every bite.
- Fresh basil
How to Make Roasted Ricotta Stuffed Bell Peppers
Not only do these delicate and delicious stuffed peppers require only a handful of ingredients, they also come together effortlessly.
Time needed: 1 hour
These stuffed peppers are partially roasted before being stuffed with light and creamy ricotta cheese filling.
- Par Cook
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Put your halved peppers on a baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil. Allow them to roast for 15 minutes.
- Fill It Up
Add all of your ingredients for the filling to a bowl and mix until smooth, creamy, and fully combined. Spread the filling into the partially cooked peppers.
- Bake Time
Allow the peppers to cook for another 30 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
- Top it Off
Garnish with fresh basil.
While all of these ingredients are readily available, you can easily swap some of them out.
- Ricotta/Mozzarella – Feel free to substitute the full dairy versions for Dairy Free options. You can also use skim milk ricotta and mozzarella for a lower fat version.
- Bell peppers – Feel free to use whatever colors you like. I love to use a combination.
- Dried herbs – You can use fresh herbs in place of the dried herbs. You will need to add more fresh herbs than dry herbs.
Variations on Roasted Ricotta Stuffed Peppers
You can easy dress these stuffed bell peppers up in different ways. Here are a few suggestions to try.
- Put an egg on it – Try adding a poached or sunny side up egg to the top of your peppers when serving them.
- Veggie Forward – You can add different types of vegetables to the ricotta filling such as spinach, mushrooms, onions, or tomatoes.
- Pesto – For even more of an herbaceous flavor try stirring in some pesto to the ricotta mixture.
- Cheesy – Swap out the mozzeralla and try adding a different cheese such as fontina, provolone, or gouda.
Equipment to Make Roasted Ricotta Stuffed Bell Peppers
Not only is this recipe quick and easy, it also doesn’t require any special equipment. All you need is a baking pan or baking dish.
Because these stuffed peppers contain both dairy and eggs, you will want to store any leftovers in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator. Additionally, you can also make the filling for these ahead of time and store it in an airtight container for when you are ready to use.
Dried herbs play a starring role in this dish. Just like with any spices, all herbs have an expiration date. The older they are, the less flavorful they are. Always check the expiration date on your dried herbs and spices and replace them often.
Roasted Ricotta Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1 baking sheet or baking dish
- 1 mixing bowl
- 2 Bell peppers, halved, seeds removed I like using a combination of peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Ricotta Filling for 2 Peppers
- 1 cup ricotta cheese or farmer's cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- pinch red chili flakes
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Fresh basil for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the peppers on a baking sheet. Drizzle both sides with olive oil.
- Roast the peppers for 15 minutes.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the filling together in a bowl until fully incorporated and creamy.
- Fill the peppers.
- Bake the stuffed bell peppers for an additional 30 minutes until the tops are golden and the cheese is bubbly.
- Top with fresh basil when serving.