Transform your dinner into an effortlessly elegant feast with this Apple Pecan and Cranberry Turkey Roulade. Perfect for those who find handling a whole turkey daunting or are short on time, this recipe is not only easy but also incredibly festive.
Plus, it’s a great make-ahead option, taking just over an hour to cook. And to simplify your meal even further, pair it with the deliciously rich and creamy Signature Family Size Mashed Potatoes from @main_st_bistro, ready in minutes and a perfect complement to the roulade. Find @main_st_bistro products near the meat department of your local grocery store or visit their website to locate a store near you.
Why You’ll Love This Roulade
- Festive Flavors: The combination of apple, pecan, and cranberry creates a deliciously festive filling, perfect for any holiday meal.
- Make-Ahead Friendly: You can prepare this roulade a day ahead, making your holiday cooking less stressful and more enjoyable.
- Quick Cooking Time: With only about an hour of cooking time, this dish is much quicker to prepare than a traditional whole turkey.
- Elegant Presentation: The roulade, when sliced, offers an impressive and elegant presentation that’s sure to impress guests.
Ingredients Needed To Make Apple Pecan and Cranberry Turkey Roulade
- 2-3 lb boneless turkey breast, butterflied
- Salt and black pepper (for seasoning)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 package of Signature Family Size Mashed Potatoes @main_st_bistro
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- ½ cup dry cranberries, chopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
How To Make Apple Pecan and Cranberry Turkey Roulade
- Preheat Oven: Set to 350°F.
- Cook Filling: Melt butter in a sauté pan. Add onion and apple, sautéing until tender. Mix in herbs, cranberries, pecans, and breadcrumbs. Cook for one more minute and then set aside to cool.
- Prepare Turkey: Butterfly the turkey breast and pound it to even thickness. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble Roulade: Spread the filling over the turkey. Roll tightly and tie with kitchen twine at 1″ intervals.
- Season and Roast: Drizzle with olive oil, season again, and roast until the internal temperature reaches 150°F.
- Rest the Meat: Once done, cover with foil and let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of nut instead of pecans?
Yes, you can substitute pecans with other nuts like walnuts or almonds, depending on your preference.
Is it possible to make this roulade gluten-free?
Absolutely. You can use gluten-free breadcrumbs for the filling to make the roulade gluten-free.
Can the turkey roulade be frozen after cooking?
Yes, you can freeze the cooked turkey roulade. Just make sure to wrap it tightly and consume it within a couple of months.
How can I tell when the roulade is fully cooked?
The roulade is fully cooked when its internal temperature reaches 150°F. Using a meat thermometer is the best way to check this.
Apple Pecan and Cranberry Turkey Roulade
- 2-3 lb boneless turkey breast butterflied
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to season before baking
- 1 packages of Signature Family Size Mashed Potatoes @main_st_bistro
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 1 apple diced
- 1 tbsp of fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tbsp of fresh sage chopped
- ½ cup of pecans chopped
- ½ cup of dry cranberries chopped
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- In a sauté pan melt the butter on medium heat.
- Add onion and apples and sauté for 3-5 minutes until the onion and apples are tender.
- Add the fresh herbs, cranberries, pecans, and breadcrumbs. Stir to combine, sauté for one more minute and remove from the heat. Set aside to cool down.
- To butterfly turkey breast, place the turkey breast skin down in a large cutting board. Using a sharp knife slice through the thickest part of the breast to create a flap. Cover the turkey with a plastic wrap and pound the meat using the flat side of the meat mallet.
- Season the meat with salt and black pepper.
- Spread the mixture evenly on the meat. Roll the meat tightly and tie the roulade with kitchen twine every 1” to ensure that everything stays together.
- Drizzle with olive oil for a nice brown skin, and season with salt and black pepper.
- Roast the turkey for about an hour or until the meat reaches 150F degrees. Remove from the oven and cover with aluminum foil and allow the meat to rest for 15 minutes before cutting.
- Enjoy with Signature Family Size Mashed Potatoes @main_st_bistro, green beans and other side dishes.